What Are Same-Day Dental Implants?
Same-day dental implants, also known as immediate-load dental implants, are a type of dental implant that gets placed in a single visit to the dentist. Unlike traditional implants that require several months of a healing period before they complete the implant with a dental crown, same-day dental implants allow you to leave the dental office with a new tooth or teeth on the same day.
The Pros and Cons of Same-Day Implants
Like any dental implant surgery, same-day implants have advantages and disadvantages.
Patients may experience the following pros:
- Faster treatment: With same-day implants, you can have a new tooth or teeth in a single visit, without having to wait several months for the implant to integrate with the jawbone.
- Convenience: Since same-day dental implants are done in one visit, you won’t have to schedule multiple appointments or take time off work.
- Immediate function: Same-day implants allow you to eat and speak normally right away, without waiting for the implant to heal.
- Cost-effective: While same-day dental implants may cost more upfront, they can be a more cost-effective option in the long run, since you won’t need to pay for multiple appointments.
The cons of one-day dental implants include:
- Risk of implant failure: Since same-day dental implants are immediately placed with a temporary restoration, there’s a higher risk of implant failure compared to traditional dental implants.
- Limited candidate pool: Not everyone is a good candidate for same-day dental implants. Those with certain medical conditions or a history of gum disease may not qualify.
- Higher cost: While same-day dental implants can be cost-effective in the long run, they may have a higher upfront cost compared to traditional dental implants.
How Do Same-Day Dental Implants Work?
The process of same-day dental implants starts with a thorough examination and consultation with a dentist. During the initial consultation, the dentist will evaluate your oral health and determine if you qualify for same-day dental implants. If you’re a suitable candidate, the dentist will use advanced technology to plan the placement of the implant, and then attach a temporary tooth restoration to the implant immediately.
They then place the implant into the jawbone through a minimally invasive surgical procedure. Once the implant is in place, they’ll attach the temporary teeth restoration to the implant. The temporary teeth restoration design looks and functions like a natural tooth and is worn for several months until the implant fully integrates with the jawbone.
After a few months, the temporary restoration is replaced with your permanent dental crown or other choice restoration.
Who Qualifies for Same-Day Dental Implants?
Not everyone is an ideal candidate for same-day dental implants. Ideal candidates include those who:
- Have good oral hygiene and health
- Have enough bone density in the jaw to support the implant
- Do not have gum disease or other medical conditions that can interfere with the healing process
- Take proper care of their oral health
Frequently Asked Questions
It depends on your insurance plan. Some insurance plans may cover same-day dental implants, while others may not. It’s best to check with your insurance provider to see what’s covered under your plan.
You may be advised to avoid hard or crunchy foods for a few days and to rinse your mouth with salt water. Your dentist will provide you with specific post-procedure instructions to ensure your recovery goes smoothly.
Same-day dental implants provide a much quicker timeline compared to traditional implants. Although the consultation and examination process is the same, the dental implant procedure can be completed in a single visit and patients will receive a temporary restoration while they go through the healing process.
The success rate remains the same, at around 95%. They’re a great long-term solution to replacing missing teeth.
Yes, in some cases, a dental implant can be placed on the same day as a tooth extraction. This is known as immediate implant placement. However, not all patients are candidates for this implant procedure and it depends on various factors such as the condition of surrounding teeth, the remaining bone and gums, the location of the tooth extraction site, and the overall health of the patient.
Your dentist or oral surgeon will evaluate your case to determine if immediate implant placement is a viable option for you after tooth extraction. In some cases, it may be necessary to wait for the extraction site to heal before placing the implant.
Explore Your Dental Implant Surgery Options in Seattle
If you’re interested in learning more about same-day dental implants, consult with a dental professional to determine if they’re the right choice for you. At our Seattle dental office, our dentist may not offer complete same-day dental implants, but can still provide you with high-quality tooth replacement options. Schedule your consultation today.